FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailST. GEORGE, Utah (AP) — Jacob Nicolds had 14 points and nine rebounds as Dixie State easily beat Saint Katherine College 86-48.Jarod Greene had 12 points and nine rebounds for Dixie State. Dason Youngblood added three blocks.Johnnie Coleman had 19 points for the Firebirds. Darius Jackson added 12 points and seven rebounds and D’angelo Fields had seven rebounds. Associated Press December 5, 2020 /Sports News – Local Dixie State beats Saint Katherine College 86-48 Tags: Dixie State Trailblazers Basketball Written by
Tags: business college, college of business, Mendoza, mendoza cap, mendoza college of business, Notre Dame In order to maintain students’ ability to pursue both business and non-business courses, the University will cap enrollment in the Mendoza College of Business to 550 students per graduating class, starting with incoming freshmen in fall 2015.Associate Vice President of Undergraduate Enrollment Donald Bishop said the policy shift was due to concerns by the Admissions office and the administrations of the Colleges that “evidence of potential growth” in the number of business major intents could shut out non-business students from business courses.Under the current policy, there is no limit to the number of students who can become business majors at any point after their sophomore year. But under the new policy, students intending to major in business must apply for “pre-approval” through the Admissions office to enroll in the business school at the end of their first years, Bishop said.Those who are not pre-approved will be able to compete for a limited number of spots after the beginning of their sophomore year. This process will be open to students who transfer from other universities, who were previously not allowed to transfer into Mendoza, he said.“The Notre Dame philosophy is we want all of our students to be as liberally educated as possible, which means some of our non-business majors taking business courses can be viewed as a strong good,” Bishop said. “To restrict those opportunities because of expected growth in business beyond traditional business class size — we think that’s a negative trade-off.”Dean of the First Year of Studies and Vice President and Associate Provost for Undergraduate Affairs Rev. Hugh Page said capping enrollment will keep business class sizes small. This way non-business students can continue to take business classes.“We’re ensuring … that we have both a way to provide educational opportunities for those who have early on identified business as their desired intent, and also sufficient seats for students at other colleges who would like to explore business or who have a supplementary business education in addition to the majors or minors that they have already declared,” Page said.Dean of Mendoza Dr. Roger Huang said the enrollment cap will also allow faculty to maintain close relationships with students, as well as preserve cross-college programs such as the Science-Business major and the Business Economics minor.“One half of our required credit hours are taken outside the business school,” Huang said. “If the business school grows to such a point that other schools are impacted, students won’t have the same choices. Even within the business school we’d like students to have not just one major.”Bishop said the increasing demand for the business school, with 1,888 students enrolled in the 2011-2012 school year, could be due to misperceived career options for the various undergraduate majors as a result of the 2008-2009 economic recession.“What we’re seeing … is this student cohort that’s a little more determined to identify more specific career path planning, and to some degree that can be channeled in a very positive way, provided that they have the sophistication and the information to look at all their choices,” Bishop said. “We think that most high school seniors don’t have the access yet to the information they need to make career choices.”To remedy this, Page said the admissions office and the First Year of Studies are working to provide more information to high school students and freshmen on the different paths to a career in business besides a business major.“We want to map our more clearly students’ relationship with the University,” Page said. “We want to make information more clear and put a greater emphasis on mentoring, to discourage decisions out of fear.”
University and College administrators confirmed the safety of students participating in study abroad programs, following the Brussels attacks. Three explosions, two in the Brussels airport and one in a subway station, killed about 30 people and injured hundreds. The terrorist group ISIS later claimed responsibility for the attacks.Tom Guinan, associate vice president for administrative operations for Notre Dame International (NDI), said in an email the University has accounted for all 433 students studying abroad.“We now have final confirmation of the location and well-being of all of our students abroad,” he said.In an email to students currently studying abroad, Guinan said, students are advised to not travel to Belgium until further notice.“The U.S. Embassy in Brussels has issued this statement on the attacks, which includes a Level 4 threat rating,” he said.NDI does not have any plans to curtail or modify study abroad programs at this time, according to a release on their website.“However, in light of these attacks and subsequent Europe-wide Travel Alert from the U.S. Department of State, NDI will continue to rigorously monitor world events and urge students abroad to take proactive safety measures and access the University’s resources for responding to disruptive or unsafe situations,” the release stated.Alice Siqin Yang, assistant director for Global Education at Saint Mary’s Center for Intercultural Leadership (CWIL), said in an email the College confirmed the safety of all students studying in Europe.“We contacted our Rome and Ireland Program onsite directors. They told us all the students there are fine. We have also contacted the students in Oxford (UK), Spain and Morocco. All of them replied to our emergency response request email,” she said. “Spanish Studies Abroad, the provider of our Spain Program, also communicated with us regarding the situation of our students in Sevilla. One ND student and one Holy Cross student are attending Saint Mary’s programs. We have already informed the two institutions of the situation of their students.“The College offers HTH international insurance for every study abroad student. HTH offered some updates on the situation in Brussels today. All the [study abroad] participants are enrolled in the State Department Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. We also received updates from Overseas Security Advisory Council. We are monitoring the situation ”Editors Note: Saint Mary’s Editor Nicole Caratas contributed to this story. Tags: Brussels, ISIS, Notre Dame International
By Dialogo December 27, 2010 This information is more than interesting, I have not seen this level of detail and information in any other written material, as is contained in this page, I also believe that the Government is accordingly making an assertive decision, national sovereignty is sacred and is the principle value of a nation as it is in the family. The government of Paraguay will invest 234 million dollars in equipment for its armed forces in 2011, according to an announcement made by Defense Minister Cecilio Pérez, speaking to reporters. “That is our budget, and within it, the investment plan corresponds to almost 30 %. We will then have a sufficient budget to make new acquisitions in 2011,” the minister indicated. The Paraguayan defense minister explained that each military branch will set its priorities for acquisition and clarified that military “modernization” will be destined for “the security of the authorities and of the population.” The minister emphasized that after many years, “finally, we will again have armed forces that are well equipped and in a position to carry out their mission, which is to guard our territorial integrity and the legitimately constituted authorities.” Looking forward, he said that the Paraguayan Armed Forces will acquire vehicles, weapons, monitoring equipment, radars, equipment for use on rivers, on land, and in the air, and fighter and training planes. Along these lines, Pérez affirmed that nothing has yet been determined with regard to a Russian offer to sell military planes and admitted that the sale price “is low, but it’s the Air Force’s job to do the analysis.”
Neal immediately hunched over and grabbed his mouth and then went to the dressing room to have his mouth evaluated, while an on-ice official collected the teeth from the ice. Related News Flames winger James Neal had a rough night — to say the least. Neal lost several of his teeth while playing against the Canucks on Saturday. The incident happened during the third period when Canucks defenseman Alex Biega was attempting to hit an airborne puck. James Neal just lost like half his front grill on a high stick. pic.twitter.com/GIcvI6Si78— Blake Steck (@blakesteck) February 10, 2019″That’s why there are dentists, right,” Flames coach Bill Peters told reporters (via USA Today). “I think for every tooth he lost, they got a minor.” Neal returned to the ice before Biega’s penalty ended. The Canucks went on to win 4-3. NHL trade news: Canadiens acquire Dale Weise, Christian Folin from Flyers Unfortunately, Biega missed and swiped Neal’s mouth instead, which resulted in a four-minute penalty against Biega for high-sticking.
Chargers’ Joey Bosa in ‘much better place’ after disappointing season The stadium itself — spearheaded by Rams owner Stan Kroenke — doesn’t have a naming rights deal yet, but is scheduled to open for the 2020 NFL season and then host the Super Bowl in 2022.VenuesNow reported earlier this year that SoFi, an online personal finance company, was nearing a 20-year deal to puts its name on the new stadium at a cost of $20 million annually. Anthony Noto, a former chief financial officer for the NFL, is SoFi’s CEO. Related News Rams’ Clay Matthews says he needs to prove himself to new team, new fans The new NFL stadium in Los Angeles has landed its first big partnership deal, the Rams announced Tuesday, as American Airlines will pay $90 million over 10 years to sponsor the plaza that serves as the main entrance to the Rams’ and Chargers’ new $5 billion home in Inglewood, California, according to Bloomberg News.Neither the Rams nor American would confirm financial terms of the deal. Now American Airlines Plaza, which stands 10 stories high with a capacity of about 15,000, will serve as the anchor to a 2.5-acre space at the main entrance to the facility. Jalen Ramsey reveals where he would like to play if he were to leave Jaguars The stadium plaza — part of the so-called LA Stadium and Entertainment District (LASED) at Hollywood Park — will be open year-round, as well as event days.According to Bloomberg, as part of the deal, Fort Worth, Texas-based American Airlines will become the official airline of the Rams and Chargers and have prominent branding during their games.No stranger to sports as a marketing tool, American has naming rights at two NBA arenas: the Mavericks’ in Dallas and the Heat’s in Miami.
West Ham are reportedly among the clubs interested in former Arsenal man Eduardo, who is one of a number of strikers being considered by QPR manager Harry Redknapp as a possible signing. Eduardo almost moved to Loftus Road from Shakhtar Donetsk in January and is available on a free transfer this summer.Stoke City’s former QPR boss Mark Hughes has been linked with a move for the 31-year-old Croatian as well, while the Daily Mirror say West Ham are also keen.Lascelles is wanted by QPRSo too, apparently, are Lazio and Turkish sides Besiktas and Fenerbahce.Related West London Sport story: QPR in talks with Ajax over deal for strikerQPR face competition from Tottenham for the signing of Nottingham Forest defender Jamaal Lascelles, according to the Daily Mail.West London Sport this week revealed that Rangers had made an offer for the 20-year-old centre-back. Forest have since insisted that he is not for sale.And the Mail say Spurs are planning to table a £5m bid for Lascelles, who made 34 appearances for Forest last season.It is also suggested that the player would prefer to stay in the north rather than move to London.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
SAN JOSE — Joe Pavelski took the ice in Game 7 warmups Wednesday with a well-groomed head of hair — and a head that apparently recovered quite well from a “gruesome” concussion two weeks earlier.Less than six minutes into the game, Pavelski scored and the Tank exploded in raucous applause. Less than six minutes later, Pavelski sent a pass from behind the net to assist Tomas Hertl’s goal for a raucous, 2-0 lead.“It was nice, I’m not going to lie,” Pavelski said at his locker, with a one-inch …
OTTAWA – The Bank of Canada estimates there will be about 60,000 fewer jobs by 2019 due to the increases in minimum wages across the country, but that labour income will be higher due to the increases.In examining the impact of the wage increases, the report estimated that the consumer price index could be boosted by about 0.1 percentage points on average and real gross domestic product could be cut by 0.1 per cent by early 2019.The number of jobs lost was based on a 0.3 per cent decline in the number of hours worked, while aggregate real wages were estimated to increase 0.7 per cent.The research paper by the staff at the central bank noted that if the average working hours declined following the increase in the minimum wage, the number of jobs lost would also be lower.The Bank of Canada estimated that about eight per cent of all employees work at minimum wage, a proportion that increases to 11 per cent if a threshold of five per cent above minimum wage is used.Ontario raised its minimum wage to $14 per hour on Jan. 1 from $11.60 and plans to increase it to $15 in 2019, while Alberta is expected to raise its minimum wage to $15 later this year.
A Métis veteran at a Winnipeg Remembrance Day service (APTN file).The Canadian PressThe vice president of the Métis National Council is urging Veterans Affairs Minister Lawrence MacAulay and his staff to ensure an apology is issued soon to Métis veterans from the Second World War.In a letter to the minister, David Chartrand says an apology to veterans who were “disrespected” and “ignored” must happen soon because veterans are nearing the end of their lives.Chartrand says the Manitoba Métis community recently lost another Second World War veteran, who did not receive recognition and justice before his death.He also says the federal government and the Métis Nation were close to reaching an agreement under former veterans affairs minister Seamus O’Regan.O’Regan was moved out of the portfolio and into Indigenous Services during a January cabinet shuffle.MacAulay’s office says it plans to speak with Chartrand and the Métis National Council in the near future on the issue, adding the minister remains committed to “appropriately recognizing” Métis veterans for their courage and sacrifices.