The 27-year-old hit-man – who was part of the Digicel All Stars in 2014 – has spent the last three months in Sydney, combining studies with an eight-game stint at Bathurst St Patrick’s in the NSW Country League.Waninara’s typically forceful performances for the reigning premiers have drawn high praise from St Pats coach Kurt Hancock, and the prop forward could be returning to the Gurias an even better player due to the experience.The Gurias have missed Waninara’s strong ball carrying and aggressive defence, with the pack coming off distinctly second best in last week’s 16-6 defeat to Hela Wigmen in Mendi.
A costly, catty dispute finally settled MOST READ Learning about the ‘Ring of Fire’ Jayson Castro had 13 points, including a clutch 3-pointer that gave the KaTropa a 110-106 lead with 1:12 remaining.“That was a hard-fought win. It’s good that we’re able to play together especially on the defensive end. We struggled a bit offensively but we’re able to organize ourselves in the endgame,” TNT coach Nash Racela told reporters.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smog“The last few days were really tough for us. And for us to really have a good chance today, important thing is we accept the change, embrace the change right away and move forward right away,” Racela, whose squad improved to 6-3, said.The KaTropa played their first game without veteran forward Ranidel de Ocampo, who was sent to Meralco on Monday in a shocking three-team deal. Winning start Glen Rice Jr. PBA IMAGESANTIPOLO — Glen Rice Jr. did a little bit of everything and TNT scraped past NLEX, 112-107, in the 2017 PBA Governors’ Cup Wednesday night at Ynares Center here. Rice notched a triple-double with 25 points, 15 rebounds and 10 assists with five blocks while Troy Rosario added 17 points and 12 rebounds.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Duterte tells PSC to include IPs, out of school youth in recruitment Break new ground It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend “Practice was emotional yesterday. Ranidel dropped by practice to say goodbye. Fortunately, the guys were able to focus.”De Ocampo won six championships at Talk ‘N Text during his eight seasons with the franchise.Aaron Fuller led the Road Warriors, who remained in second place despite sliding to 7-3, with 28 points and 18 rebounds while Alex Mallari had 19 points, nine rebounds and five assists.Larry Fonacier, the former longtime TNT swingman, who was traded to NLEX four months ago late in the Commissioner’s Cup, played against his former team for the first time and had 10 points off the bench.ADVERTISEMENT A costly, catty dispute finally settled End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend View comments
The Civil Society Network of Liberia (CSO) has commended the Governor of the Central Bank of Liberia (CBL), Dr. J. Mills Jones for his reaffirmation to support the financial capacity of “middle class” Liberians through his financial loan scheme.According to CSO-Network, the initiative is laudable and worth supporting as it is designed to alleviate poverty, especially among the thousands of less fortunate Liberians across the country.“Our research conducted revealed that the CBL Governor has established loan schemes in seven of the fifteen (15) counties and has tremendously helped to better the living conditions of our people in those areas,” a release said. “The recent visits of Dr. Jones to Bomi and Nimba counties where scores of Liberians gave him a rousing welcome demonstrate that Liberians are appreciative of his support to improving their livelihood. “We will also like to use this medium to call on detractors of the CBL governor’s loan scheme to stop politicizing the initiative and give him their support as Governor Jones strives to better the economy of the nation,” the release indicated.The CSO-Network sees these baseless criticisms against Dr. Jones in the name of presidency as reckless and against the true spirit of peace, unity and the development of the country and its suffering masses.“We also want to call on some lawmakers opting for the CBL to be audited to drop their argument which we see as being in the wrong direction and not in the interest of the ordinary citizens of the country,” the release added.“Our argument with the lawmakers is based on part X (2) of the act authorizing the establishment of the CBL, approved on March 18, 1999 and published October 20, 1999 which stated that the accounts of the CBL shall be audited at least once every year, by a reputable and professional externalinternal auditors by the board of governors.”In our minds, this has been done as evidence by the recent audit conducted by the international auditing firm Price Waterhouse and such audit report has been submitted to the Executive, copies of which was sent to the National Legislature, so there is no need for a GAC audit. Let us quickly sign this as a warning to individuals who are wrongfully criticizing this distinguished and patriotic kinsman of ours in the name of wanting to contest the presidency come 2017, to desist and rally their support to him in bettering the livelihood of our poverty-stricken population, the network said.“The time for politics is far, the release said, “let us work with Governor Jones as he strives to build a middle income society when he said to the people of Nimba County, ‘It’s time to look for the Liberian man and woman that believe in Liberia, those who stand up for Liberia and those who say count on me for what I have done in the interest of Liberia. This is not about empty promise neither destroying excellence so that mediocrity can rise.”CSO-Network is also calling on Governor Jones not to be distracted by those unfounded information from his detractors and continue to empower “our less fortunate citizens that can put more Liberians to work in the midst of the high unemployment in the country.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Stakeholders vote at the extraordinary congress in Monrovia.High School Diploma will now be the minimum qualification for candidates wishing to contest for the presidency of the Liberia Football Association (LFA) after stakeholders overwhelmingly voted to amend the statues.The decision, which was taken over the weekend, follows FIFA Governance Committee assessment after the LFA’s April 14 election characterized by controversy. The committee authorized the LFA Executive Committee to harmonize the age limits, registration fees for candidates contesting LFA elections.During the extraordinary congress, 25 out of the 34 football stakeholders that were present voted in favor of the proposed amendment to harmonize the statutes on the qualification, age limit and all criteria for the presidency of the football house, while five voted against and two abstained.The stakeholders voted that the age limits for the presidency be 25 and above, while the registration fees for candidates vying for the presidency has been reduced from US$2,500 to US$1,000.Following the amendment, Article 58.5 now states that “Candidates for the LFA elections shall pay US$1,000 for president, Vice Presidents US$750, Executive Committee Members US$500.”“The president, vice presidents and members of the executive committee shall not be younger than 25 years. The President, Vice Presidents and Executive Committee members shall have a minimum qualification of high school diploma,” according to Article 58.1.The weekend amendment in the LFA statutes has now set the pace for the hosting of the football house presidential election.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Government has been accused of allegedly making attempts to tamper with the system in preparation for Local Government Elections (LGE) through the creation of new Local Government institutions.Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo made this allegation, explaining that he has credible information which suggests that Government has been active on the ground, especially in the interior.“We are very concerned with attempts to tamper with the [Neighbourhood Democratic Council] NDC’s Local Government bodies to gerrymander boundaries to suit [A Partnership for National Unity] APNU,” Jagdeo said on Thursday.Jagdeo said he is not surprised by their action, reminding that the People’s Progressive Party (PPP) crushed both coalition parties; the APNU and the AllianceOpposition Leader Bharrat JagdeoFor Change (AFC) in 2015.“I’ve heard (Ronald) Bulkan, he’s been having discussions with GECOM (Guyana Elections Commission) now that they want to create 10 new Local Government bodies,” he told media operatives.Back in 2016, Government had created three new towns; Mabaruma in Region One (Barima-Waini); Bartica in Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni); and Lethem in Region Nine (Upper Takutu-Upper Essequibo). Minister Bulkan had also announced plans to make Mahdia a town.This time around, the Government has been in discussion with the residents in Mahdia over those plans. “I think they’re going to go to places like Mahdia where they believe they’re strong and without any consultation, like they did with Lethem and with Mabaruma and Bartica,” he added.The Opposition Leader explained that Government is targeting several areas, including NDCs, where they received that voted predominantly for the APNU in 2015.“They want to gerrymander the boundaries by splitting an NDC like that, creating two new NDCs so they can win in these areas. That is what is happening now because they fear another crushing defeat,” referring to Amerindian titled villages like Campbell Town and Micobe in Mahdia.Jagdeo argued that township holds no benefits for its citizens under the Administration. “There is no benefit to being part of a township under this Government because it doesn’t mean greater development, it just means moreMinister of Communities Hon. Ronald A. Bulkan,MPtaxes because then you are part of the tax base,” he said.The creation of the new towns and NDCs were said to be a part of the Administration’s policy and vision of fostering national development via regional and local empowerment, given Central Government’s stated commitment to a philosophy of decentralised governance, but the PPP thinks otherwise.The APNU/AFC suffered a crushing defeat in 2015 at LGE when the PPP received 30,000 more votes than both parties. The PPP also won 48 of the 65 NDCs and tied seven others. In summary, the party won or tied with 55 of the 65 areas that were contested. They also won three towns, except for the newly created ones.PreparationsA few days ago, Minister Bulkan met with GECOM Chairman, retired Justice James Patterson over concerns that Government was still scrambling for the upcoming LGE which is slated to take place sometime in December. Patterson said he was concerned that the Government has not yet set a date.On Wednesday Bulkan explained that the matter will be discussed again at Cabinet and a determination will be made on the date set for the polls. He reminded that it will be held within the prescribed constitutional time, which will be before December 7.Bulkan also explained that GECOM has received direct funding from Government to the sum of $3.4 billion, which includes $500 million from last year. He said that Central Government is also making plans to ensure that the local organs are prepared as well and that a date could be announced by the President soon.The Minister also noted that Government will begin its public education campaign on this election, especially as it relates to the constitutional and legal provisions for Local Democratic Organs (LDOs) on the authority and responsibilities; model and policy direction to empower LDOs to manage the economic space and develop in partnership with national Government.Focus will also be placed on strengthening the Guyana Association Municipalities, the National Regional Development Consultative Committee (NRDCC), the Regional Development Consultative Committee (RDCC), and the Regional Agricultural and Commerce Exhibition (RACE), among others. After an absence of over two decades, local Government elections were last held in 2016.
Anyone interested in signing up their children for the league can visit the Fort St. John Soccer League’s website at www.fsjsoccer.com or by clicking here to access the registration form.- Advertisement –
Spector, the music producer famous for the “Wall of Sound” recording technique of the 1960s, is accused of killing sometime-actress Lana Clarkson in 2003. She was shot in the foyer of Spector’s home after going home with him from her job as a hostess at the House of Blues on the Sunset Strip. Among those who remained on the prospective jury panel after the first round of cuts was a city prosecutor who was questioned by the judge on whether she could really be fair; she said she could. Also in the box were a TV producer and a woman who said she equated the Spector case with the O.J. Simpson murder trial and felt Simpson was guilty even though he was acquitted. She said she could put that opinion aside. Another woman who remained had been questioned by Deputy District Attorney Alan Jackson about the influence of TV shows such as the “CSI” dramas. The woman said she knew the TV dramas were not realistic in showing how cases are solved. An aspiring actress who had told lawyers in the Phil Spector murder case she considered him guilty was dismissed from the prospective jury panel Wednesday after she said she couldn’t change her mind. The young woman was one of five prospects removed through challenges for cause by both the prosecution and defense during a private conference at the judge’s bench. It was not known if any challenges were denied. Those dismissed included a native of Hong Kong who said she could not grasp the American system of justice, two women who had language difficulties and a man who said he could not forget the gunshot suicide of his nephew, which might influence him. Five more prospects were immediately chosen and placed in the jury box for questioning. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
The contract also indicated that the performer was responsible for ensuring the safety of all of the equipment used in his act, Fryer said. The preliminary investigation by Cal-OSHA, which routinely investigates all work-related injuries and deaths in the state, showed that trapeze performer Roberto Gonzalez Valenzuela, 35, of Brownsville, Texas, died when his safety rigging failed, Fryer said. Valenzuela was secured by 25-foot-long strips of fabric attached to his arms and legs. The strips were attached to a hook about 40 feet above the ground. A portion of the rigging came loose as Valenzuela was about 15 feet up. He landed head first, Fryer said. Calls to a telephone number listed on the Vazquez Brothers Circus’ Web site were not returned Tuesday. The Web site said the circus is based in Mexico and tours throughout the United States. • Photo Gallery: Circus accident SOUTH EL MONTE – California Division of Occupational Safety and Health officials opened an investigation Tuesday into the death of a circus trapeze artist who fell during a performance Monday night, officials said. However, Cal-OSHA spokesman Dean Fryer said Tuesday afternoon that state officials were reviewing the contract between Circo Hermanos Vazquez (Vazquez Brothers Circus) and the artist to determine whether he was an employee or a contract performer. If the performer worked on a contract basis, as a preliminary investigation appeared to indicate, Cal-OSHA would have no jurisdiction in the case, Fryer said. The circus’ next stop was to be Friday in Panorama City, its Web site said. Valenzuela was performing in the first of two scheduled shows Monday at the Whittier Narrows Recreation Area near South El Monte. “It happened during the first performance of the evening,” said Sheriff’s Department spokesman Steve Whitmore. He said sheriff’s detectives were investigating the death. Whitmore called it a “non-criminal” death investigation. Meanwhile, officials with the county Coroner’s Office ruled the death an accident. Coroner’s spokesman Craig Harvey said the cause of death was blunt head trauma. Fryer said officials from his agency went to the scene Monday night. He said it was the first fatal accident at a circus that he had encountered during his 10 years with Cal-OSHA. Although the artist was performing without a net, California law requires only that circuses have a reliable safety system in place during trapeze performances, Fryer said. The fabric strips attached to Valenzuela would have met that requirement, he said. However, “if the artist performs as a contract employee, there is no guidance \ on how they do their performance,” he said. On Monday night, a man identified as the Vazquez Brothers Circus’ general manager told a TV camera crew at the scene that the accident was “a tragedy for the whole circus family.” Valenzuela had been performing for 10 years, Whitmore said. County firefighters happened to be at Monday night’s show to monitor the act following Valenzuela’s that involved fire, county police officials said. Firefighters tried to help Valenzuela, but he died at the scene, officials said. firstname.lastname@example.org (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3026 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – City Council has decided to take further action in advocating they disagree with Bill C-48 and Bill C-69.The Resource Communities of Canada Coalition for Council asked Mayor Ackerman to pass a resolution calling on the Senate of Canada to reject Bills C-48 and C-69.As the Coalition required the resolution prior to the next Council meeting, a Council Survey Poll was conducted by email on June 12th. With all Council members agreeing to the survey poll, Council agreed with sharing their opposition to Bills C-48 and C-69 through ratification of the Administration Report No. 0116/19.- Advertisement -Furthering the report, Council agreed a letter should be written and shared to MP’s, and Municipality Associations across Canada to show Council’s support of the resource sector and concerns for the Bills C-48 and C-69. Council recognizes the importance of the energy sector to our region. The release of the letter will be made public once it is available.